A Valley Legacy
One of Brisbane’s most iconic landmarks, the McWhirters building in Fortitude Valley was originally commissioned by James McWhirter as one of the city’s very first department stores in 1912.
Receiving several overhauls and alterations over the years, the property was most recently re-designed to incorporate apartments on the upper levels in 1997.
Occupying over an acre of land bound by Brunswick, Wickham and Warner Streets, the heritage-listed building comprises 114 residential apartments over five storeys, with the ground floor utilised as a retail and dining precinct.
Known over the years as McWhirters & Son Ltd, Myer and McWhirters Marketplace, the building still showcases traditional design elements today, including mosaic tiling, leadlight windows and pressed metal ceilings.
Ranging in size from one bedroom to four, the apartments offer generous floorplans with high ceilings, contemporary kitchens and large picture windows in a warehouse/loft arrangement.
Incorporating an internal atrium-style design, the complex benefits from on-site management, secure building entry and is pet friendly, providing a safe and spacious inner-city abode for its residents.
At the very heart of the eclectic area, McWhirter Apartments are central to the vibrant Fortitude Valley nightlife, bustling CBD and some of Brisbane’s most popular dining and shopping districts.
In an enviable location, you may walk to trendy James Street and shop the boutiques, take in a show at the Tivoli Theatre or pop down to Howard Smith Wharves for a drink along the river. Closer to home, the address provides a three-minute walk to Fortitude Valley Station and a plethora of eateries and shops on the ground floor of the building.
Providing a refreshing change from the modern skyscrapers of today, McWhirter’s truly is a Brisbane institution that represents the journey of Brisbane over the years.
- Originally commissioned by James McWhirter as one of the city’s first department stores in 1912
- Most recently re-designed to incorporate apartments on the upper levels in 1997
- Heritage-listed building comprises 114 residential apartments over 5 storeys
- Known over the years as McWhirters & Son Ltd, Myer & McWhirters Marketplace
- The building showcases traditional design elements including mosaic tiling, leadlight windows & pressed metal ceilings
- Apartments offer generous floorplans with high ceilings, contemporary kitchens & picture windows in a warehouse/loft arrangement
- Atrium-style complex with on-site management, secure building entry & pet friendly
- Central to vibrant nightlife, bustling CBD & popular Brisbane dining/shopping districts
- Walk to James Street, the Tivoli Theatre & Howard Smith Wharves
- 3 min walk to Fortitude Valley Station + eateries/shops on the ground floor of the building
- Pet-friendly complex
|Number of Apartments||114 Apartments – 5 Levels|
|Developer||HAL Architects, Miller Property Group|
|Year of Completion||Originally built in 1912 – last updated in 1997|
|Comprising of||1 Bedroom|
|Amenities||On-site management, security & CCTV|
|Other comments||Pet friendly, first major Brisbane department store, heritage listed in 1992|
2 Bedroom Apartment Floorplan